ATM SAFETY Overview
As with all financial transactions, please exercise discretion when using an ATM. For your own safety, be careful. The following suggestions may be helpful.
- Prepare for your transactions ahead of time to minimize your time at the ATM.
- Mark each transaction in your account record, but not while at the ATM. Always save your ATM receipts. Don't leave them at the ATM because they contain sensitive information.
- Compare your records with the account statements you receive.
- Don't lend your ATM card to anyone.
- Do not leave your card at the ATM.
- Protect the secrecy of your Personal Identification Number (PIN). Protect your ATM card as though it were cash. Don't tell anyone your PIN. Don't give anyone information regarding your ATM card or PIN over the telephone. Don't write your PIN where it can be discovered. For example, don't keep a note of your PIN in your purse or wallet.
- Prevent others from seeing you enter your PIN by using your body to shield their view.
- If you lose your ATM card or if it is stolen, promptly notify us.
- When you make a transaction, be aware of your surroundings. Look out for suspicious activity near the ATM, particularly if it is after sunset. At night, be sure that the facility (including the parking area and walkways) is well lighted. Consider having someone accompany you when you use the facility, especially after sunset. If you observe any problem, go to another ATM.
- Don't accept assistance from anyone you don't know when using an ATM.
- If you notice anything suspicious or any other problem arises after you have begun an ATM transaction, you may want to cancel the transaction, pocket your card and leave. You might consider using another ATM or coming back later.
- Don't display your cash; pocket it as soon as the ATM transaction is completed and count the cash later when you are in the safety of your own car, home, or other secure surrounding.
- At a drive-up facility, make sure all the car doors are locked and all of the windows are rolled up, except the driver's window. Keep the engine running and remain alert to your surroundings.
- We want the ATM to be safe and convenient for you. Therefore, please tell us if you know of any problem with a facility. For instance, let us know if a light is not working or there is any damage to a facility. Please report any suspicious activity or crimes to both the operator of the facility and the local law enforcement officials immediately.